Our Vision

Hearts on Fire with a Vision for growth

Building for Mission in one of our most deprived parishes

The parish of St Mary Magdalene Peckham serves a community which is amongst the poorest 10% in the Diocese of Southwark. Recently the Bishop of Southwark dedicated a new altar in the church he consecrated 5 years ago. Under the leadership of their vicar, Dr Olu Adams, the PCC raised 90% of the £2 million funding for the new church themselves - an extraordinary achievement - with the remaining 10% loan from the Diocese which they have been steadily repaying.

Just a few months ago the parish celebrated 175 years of worship on the site. With increasing numbers of children and families, the parish is keen to focus on this crucial aspect of mission. The Diocese has decided to support mission in an area of such great need by releasing the parish from the remainder of their loan repayment amounting to around £100k.The aim is to help equip them to build their resources for mission and ministry

The Diocesan Secretary, Ruth Martin, said, ‘We are using the designated resources such as the Church Building Fund to directly serve and support mission in our parishes  as we seek to grow our planned church attendance by 5% by 2025.  The already proven success of the parish in building to serve and reach their community is a testament to their mission statement: ‘to know Christ and to make him known’. The Diocese already supports well known locations of regeneration such as the Vauxhall, Nine Elms and Battersea Developments and it is vital that we also resource areas of greatest need to enable mission’ .

Dr Olu Adams said, ‘We are delighted that the Diocese has been able to help us to complete this ambitious project so that we can turn our attention to sharing the Good news with those around us and especially amongst children, young people and families.   Our new church and community centre will enhance the ministry of the church in the local community, promote and enable all people in the community to grow in love and the knowledge of Christ.’