Parish Support Fund
Resourcing God’s mission in Southwark Diocese
One of the great things about the Church of England is that we work together. Rather than each church paying for its own vicar and all the other costs of ministry, we pool our resources with richer parishes supporting poorer ones. This means we can put clergy in the places where they are needed most. So a more affluent parish with fewer people in it may have a half-time priest, while a less affluent inner city parish may need a full-time priest.
Since January 2016 in Southwark Diocese we have implemented a new way of seeking to fund the work of our parishes. Parishes are invited to support the shared responsibilities we have as a Diocese by making a pledge to the Parish Support Fund. Parishes are asked to make a pledge (that is a commitment to pay a certain amount for the year) which is realistic, challenging and generous.
The Parish Support Fund should not be seen as an excuse to give less. Giving provides the resources for mission and ministry in every parish in our Diocese. Our PCCs right across our Diocese are responsible and accountable to each other for how much they give.
An information pack to help parishes consider their pledge has been now been sent to all PCC Secretaries. This information includes:
- an A4 booklet which has been reformatted for all to use, explaining how your contribution to the PSF resources mission and ministry across the Diocese, celebrating some stories of good news from our churches that your contribution helps to fund and how to make a proposed pledge. We can supply extra copies if you would like to give them to more people.
- a DVD illustrating how the PSF funds different areas of mission and ministry in the Diocese and celebrating stories of good news from around our parishes as we work towards growth as part of the Southwark Vision. Watch the video above, or on our YouTube channel at https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4htYCNbkutk.
- a poster to help your congregation understand the impact of their pledge to the PSF in supporting every parish across the Diocese. This is a new addition to the pack and we hope that you will display this in your church for members of the congregation to read.
- a data sheet, previously included in the booklet, explaining ‘What Ministry Costs’ as we want to make sure that each parish has all the information necessary to help you and your PCC make a decision about your pledge.
- ‘A Generous God’ ― Bible studies on God’s generosity to us all written by the Archdeacon of Croydon, Chris Skilton.
- a pledge form which should be returned to your Archdeacon by 30 June 2019.
- a parish income form to help you identify all the areas of income in your parish.
- a parish-specific information sheet showing the indicative costs of ministry for your parish. It also shows your parish’s previous pledges and payments under the PSF. If you'd like additional copies of this, please contact Gabby Parikh.
For more information contact:
Diocese of Southwark
Trinity House, 4 Chapel Court
Borough High Street
London SE1 1HW
Tel: 020 7939 9400