Our Vision

Hearts on Fire with a Vision for growth

Felbridge: St John


East Grinstead
Sussex RH19 2QT

Location map

Parish website

Parish Contacts

The Revd Mark Francis
(Priest in Charge)

The Vicarage
8 The Glebe
East Grinstead
West Sussex RH19 2QT

Tel: 07774 324934

Parish website: www.stjohnsfelbridge.com

Sunday Services

8.00am Holy Communion
10.00am Morning Prayer, Family Service or Holy Communion
(with crèche, Climbers, Explorers, Pathfinders)
6:30pm Evening Prayer or Holy Communion

Facilities: Toilets, crèche, induction loop

Further details of all Sunday and weekday services and activities may be obtained from the parish contacts


Tradition: Conservative Evangelical
Patron: Diocesan Board of Patronage

Deanery: Tandridge

Archdeaconry: Reigate

Episcopal Area: Croydon

Diocesan Record Office: Surrey History Centre

Introduction to parish

Felbridge is right on the boundary of the County of Surrey and the Diocese of Southwark. It has close links with East Grinstead and because many of the congregation of St John's come from outside the parish, it makes it possible to sustain a wide range of church activities for a small village of about 1000 inhabitants.

There are children's and youth groups, home groups for Bible study, prayer and fellowship. The Sunday services are intended to be accessible to people without a church background, and the focus is on teaching the Bible and showing its relevance to life today.

Details of Church

Built: 1865
Architect: William White
Listing: not listed

The church is a neo-Gothic building erected in the mid-1860's. The building consists of a nave in the south-west comer with an aisle to the north. To the east, the nave opens into a chancel and to the north of this there is a side chapel which in turn opens on the eastern side to a small vestry.

The walls are constructed with sandstone with feature bands of brick-work and predominantly the roofs, which are supported on timber trusses, are finished with plain tiling, but with slates to the aisle and vestry roofs. There is a belfry at the west end of the building. The windows are glazed leaded lights, with stained glass to five of the windows. The building is surrounded by grassed areas, with a graveyard occupying the land to the south.