Wimbledon: St Matthew
Details of all Sunday and weekday services and activities may be obtained from the parish contacts or from the website.
Architect: Sebastian Comper
Listing: not listed
The church was built in 1958 to a simple plan, structural design and elevational treatment.
Loadbearing cavity walls to both aisles, faced with stock brickwork laid to a modified Flemish bond and stiffened with piers have been built off a plinth of blue engineering bricks. These support the aisle roof structure.
The nave roof is carried on full triangulated concrete trusses to simulate timber supported on clerestory cavity brickwork itself built off stonework arcades.
Windows have been built with reconstructed stone (concrete) surrounds with no overhangs, formed of sections of various lengths. Glazing is leaded panes within steel windows.