Mitcham: St Peter & St Paul
Revd David Pennells
The Vicarage, 11 Vicarage Gardens, Mitcham, CR4 3BL
(020) 8646 0666
The Centre is available for local community groups, as well as for commercial users (parties, seminars, meetings...). Rates are competitive, with 35% discount for regular community group bookings. Apply to The Parish Centre Manager
Parish website: www.mitchamparishchurch.org.uk
Details of all Sunday and weekday services and activities may be obtained from the parish contacts
Patron: Keble College, Oxford
Details of the Church
Built: 1819 - 21
Architect: George Smith
Listing: grade 2*
The church was rebuilt in 1819-21 incorporating the original Saxon tower base, the stonework of which can still be seen with its narrow door and adjacent piscina. It is an austere building externally rendered in Roman cement with simple mouldings. The main decoration comprises carved stone caps to the pinnacles and a variety of cast heads at the base of drip moulds and on buttresses at the west end.
Internally its basilica form is emphasised by a soaring elegant nave and tall aisles all with vaulted ceilings as has the chancel and high altar. The tower is terminated in four rendered pinnacles with lead covered caps and granite parapet copings.