Our Vision

Hearts on Fire with a Vision for growth

Sydenham: All Saints


Trewsbury Road
SE26 5DP

Location map

Parish Contacts

Revd Philip Smith

41 Trewsbury Road
SE26 5DP

Tel: 020 8778 3065
Email philip.h.smith@hotmail.com

Sunday Services

10.30 am Parish Mass

Facilities: Toilets, crèche

Further details of all Sunday and weekday services and activities may be obtained from the parish contacts


Tradition: Traditional Catholic
Patron: Vicar of St Bartholomew, Sydenham

Deanery: West Lewisham
Archdeaconry: Lewisham & Greenwich
Episcopal Area: Woolwich

Introduction to parish

The site on the corner of Sydenham Road and Trewsbury Road was first licensed for Church of England worship by the Bishop of Rochester in 1794. The building was known as Christchurch, Sydenham and was a chapel of ease to St. Mary's, Lewisham. In 1901 the present church was founded, the new church, now a Parish Church being dedicated to All Saints. This grade II listed building was designed by Fellowes-Prynne and is only half completed. The chancel arch is especially fine, and the war memorial is unusual, recording the civilian casualties of a bombing raid on Sydenham in 1918. The church has two relies of Fr Sidney Faithorn Green, imprisoned for the Faith under the Public Worship Regulation Act 1878. S F Green was related to the first Vicar of All Saints, and so it is fitting that the traditional catholic faith of the Church of England, is taught, practised and upheld in this church today.

Built: 1904
Architect: George Fellowes Prynne
Listing: grade C

The original designs or Fellowes Prynne were not fully implemented in 1904, presumably because of financial constraints. As a result, a number of the features of the original design were left incomplete. Items that were not finished in that initial phase of construction include the chapel on the south side of the sanctuary and a further two bays to the nave at the west end of the building.

However, completed accommodation comprises a raised sanctuary and chancel behind a fine full height rood screen with a nave altar set before the screen. To the north or the chancel is the choir vestry with access to the organ loft. Behind the choir vestry is the Charcoal Room and priest’s vestry.

To the west of the nave altar is the nave with north and south aisles and remnants of the original design of porches at the ends of the north and south aisles. There is a small lobby constructed within the 'temporary' construction at the west end of the church.

The church is constructed of load-bearing brick walls and columns decorated in perpendicular Gothic style with bands of limestone supporting a pitched roof clad with clay tiles. The roof structure is concealed behind a horizontally boarded ceiling internally but follows the same profile as the four pointed chancel arch.

The various areas of temporary construction are finished in yellow stock brick and roofed with slate.

The interior of the church is light and lofty and the fine white rood screen forms a visual focus through which the high altar can be seen.