Ruskin Park: St Saviour
Within the parish of Herne Hill
Details of all Sunday and weekday services and activities may be obtained from the parish contacts
Architect: Beresford Pite/Thomas Ford & Partners
Listing: grade 2
The original Saint Saviour's Church was situated slightly to the north west and was a Ragstone church in a Romanesque style, constructed in 1866-7 to the designs of Gough. The chancel and south transept were added in 1870 by W Gibbs Bartleet. The church was demolished some years ago.
The present church was constructed in 1915 as the Parish Hall to the earlier building and is to the designs of Beresford Pite. Pevsner describes the building as "an unusual design of red and yellow brick, triple arched, recessed entrance, slate covered cupola".
In 1987, the Hall was refurbished and remodelled by Thomas Ford & Partners to form a more suitable setting for worship. The building is also in daily use by the nearby St Saviour's School for School meals and P.E.