East Dulwich: St John
The Revd Gill O'Neill (Vicar)
St John's Vicarage, 62 East Dulwich Road, London SE22 9AU
Tel: 07958 592425
Tel: 020 8693 3897
Parish website: http://www.stjohnseastdulwich.org/
Details of all Sunday and weekday services and activities may be obtained from the parish contacts
Patron: Cuddesdon College, Oxford
Details of church
Architect: Charles Bailey/J B S Comper
Listing: grade 2
The present building is a post war reconstruction of an 1865 building which was bombed in 1940. The 1865 church was designed by Charles Bailey, a local architect. Built of Kentish Ragstone with Bath Stone dressings, the nave and aisles were covered with a large slated pitched roof with dormer windows lighting the nave. There was an apse and a south east tower and spire. The vestry block was added in 1915.
The apse and tower survived the bombing, and in 1947 Sebastian Comper was appointed architect for rebuilding the church. He raised the height of the nave walls by 9 feet to allow a clerestory to be formed to light the nave. This changed the profile of the church, which now has separate nave and aisle roofs. The restored church was consecrated in 1951.
A church hall extension was added to the church, providing a new west end entrance. It is designed in a traditional style to 'match' the existing building. Architects were P & B Anstell - Evans.