Our Vision

Hearts on Fire with a Vision for growth

Coulsdon: St John the Evangelist

Croydon South Deanery

Address

Canons Hill
Old Coulsdon
Surrey

Location map

Parish Website

Parish Contacts

Revd Paul Roberts (Rector)

232 Coulsdon Road
Coulsdon
Surrey CR5 1EA

Tel: 01737 552152
E-mail: rev.paul.c.roberts@gmail.com

Revd Susan Thomas
(Assistant Priest)

40 West Hill
South Croydon
Surrey CR2 0SA

E-mail: sue.thomas431@gmail.com

Parish Office
Tel: 01737 552461
E-mail: stjohns@coulsdon.net

Parish website: www.coulsdon.net/stjohns/

Sunday Services

8.00am Communion (BCP)
9.30am Communion (CW)
(with children's and young people's activities for all ages every Sunday except 3rd, Worship Together every 3rd Sunday)
11.15am Family Service

Facilities: Disabled access, toilets, disabled toilet, induction loop.

Further details of all Sunday and weekday services and activities may be obtained from the parish contacts

Information

Tradition: Open Evangelical
 Archbishop of Canterbury

Deanery: Croydon South

Archdeaconry: Croydon

Episcopal Area: Croydon

Diocesan Record Office: Surrey History Centre

Introduction to parish

A church has stood on this site for more than 1000 years to the glory of God and to serve the community by:

  • Caring for people in Coulsdon,

  • Promoting prayer,

  • Raising Christian awareness,

  • Forming Christian values,

  • Supporting Christian families.

Details of Church

Internal photoBuilt: 13th - 15th Century, extended in 1958
Architect: Extended by J S Comper
Listing: grade 1

The church is pleasantly situated at the east corner of the village green in Old Coulsdon. The original church of St John dates from the late thirteenth century with a fifteenth century west tower and consisted of a chancel, nave with north and south transepts, south porch and west tower. A large extension built onto the south transept in 1958 by J S Comper provides a spacious aisled nave and chancel with a gallery at the north end, inserted into the former south transept. The north transept has become the choir vestry and there is a small modern west porch. A more recent extension designed by John Stammers has been built between the chancel and the new church and extending eastwards. This provides a kitchen, toilets and a parish office/clergy vestry.

The old church is built of Reigate stone, flint and a few bricks with slated roofs and a shingled spire on the tower. The new church and the recent extension are built with facing bricks and copper sheeting or felt on the roofs.