Coronavirus: Guidance for Parishes
This page was last updated Wednesday 9 September 2020.
On Tuesday 23 June the government announced that, from Saturday 4 July, places of worship were able to re-open for public worship - subject to social distancing rules. The latest guidance from the goverment and the Church of England on how this can be achieved in as safe a manner as possible and further information was shared by the Coronavirus Task Group in Bulletin no.17, Thursday 2 July.
As with re-opening for private prayer, this announcement is permissive and there is no assumption that everyone will be able to move at the same pace. Parishes should make contact with their Area Dean or Archdeacon if they have any concerns.
As information and guidance has been updated and revised in line with the latest situation, some of the advice in earlier pastoral letters and bulletins has been superseded. We have gathered together the latest infomation (with links to the relevant communication) under useful headings for your convenience.
- Annual Meetings & Elections
- Children, Young People & Families
- Clergy Wellbeing
- Diocesan Funerals Helpline
- Food Access Response
- Job Retention Scheme
- Migrants and asylum seekers
- Online Church
- Parish Support Fund and Finances
- Re-opening Our Churches
- The Bridge
The Coronavirus Task Group can be contacted on firstname.lastname@example.org
Coronavirus (COVID-19) guidance for parishes
A prayer in lockdown
The doors of the house where the disciples had met were locked. (John 20.19)
Ever present God,
be with us in our isolation,
be close to us in our distancing,
be healing in our sickness,
be joy in our sadness,
be light in our darkness,
be wisdom in our confusion,
be all that is familiar when all is unfamiliar,
that when the doors reopen
we may with the zeal of Pentecost
inhabit our communities
and speak of your goodness
to an emerging world.
For Jesus’ sake.
Please pray for all who are involved in the response to this crisis worldwide.
source of healing and comfort,
fill us with your grace,
that the sick may be made whole,
that those who care for us may be strengthened,
that the anxious may be calmed,
and those most vulnerable be protected
in the power of Spirit
in the faith of Jesus Christ our Lord.
- Guidance and resources for taking your church online, as well as a list of churches currently using live-streaming or YouTube, is available at southwark.anglican.org/churchonline.
- The latest NHS advice is available at https://www.nhs.uk/conditions/coronavirus-covid-19/
- The latest information from CofE website is available at https://www.churchofengland.org/coronavirus
- Parishes should check these links regularly for updated guidance.