Menu

Useful information

Patron

The Archbishop of Canterbury

Episcopal Area

Croydon Episcopal Area

Deanery

Croydon Central Deanery

Archdeaconry

Details of the Church

Built

C15/1870

Architect

Unknown/George Gilbert Scott

Listing

1

The original 15th Century church was almost completely destroyed by fire in 1867; today only the much restored tower and south porch remain from the original building. In 1870 the church was rebuilt on the old foundations by Sir George Gilbert Scott, one of the greatest architects of the Victorian age. The rebuilt church loosely followed the design of the original Perpendicular building. The walls of the church are of ashlar which is faced with knapped flint with dressings of soft stone, already much eroded. The interior of the church is very fine, particularly impressive features include the timber roof of the nave and Chancel, the restored tombs of Archbishops Whitgift and Sheldon, and the Alabaster reredos.

The South London Church Fund and Southwark Diocese Board of Finance is a company limited by guarantee (No. 236594).
Registered Office: Trinity House, 4 Chapel Court, Borough High Street, London SE1 1HW. Registered Charity: (No. 249678).

© The Diocese of Southwark 2021. All rights reserved.
Hit enter to search or ESC to close