Streatham: St Paul (Furzedown)
8.00 am Holy Communion
10.00 am Parish Communion
Family Eucharist - 1st Sunday
Further details of all Sunday and weekday services and activities may be obtained from the parish contacts
Listing: not listed
St Paul's was built in the 1920's and consecrated in 1926. Funding was provided by the "25 Churches Fund" set up by Bishop Garbett.
The church is of conventional design, with central nave, clerestory windows, north and south aisles, and north and south transepts. Vestries, with ancillary rooms above and boiler/store rooms below in a semi-basement, are located at the south east corner of the building. There is a small north porch, and a larger south porch which forms the main entrance onto Welham Road. The church is set in a fairly generous mainly grassed churchyard on the corner of Chillerton Road, its location set above the road level reflecting the slightly hilly nature of the site and surrounding residential streets. Walls are of handmade stock brick, possibly Wealden stocks. The roofs have been renewed in concrete tiles. Windows are dressed with brick cills and arches. External doors are in oak.
Internally, the walls are plastered and painted; the roof is of stained softwood boarding over trussed timber members, one at each bay of the arcaded nave. The flooring to the aisles is in some form of 'Äúcomposition' woodblock material, laid generally in a herringbone pattern; there is softwood boarding under the pews. The chancel area is carpeted tiled with quarry tiles, as is the Lady Chapel, whilst the north and south porches have terrazzo style in situ paving and steps.
There are some stained glass windows, including those to the east end by Martin Travers. The organ is recent, having been installed in the early 1990s.