Horne: St Mary
A parish within the Windmill United Benefice
Built: 13th century - restored 1880
Architect: restored by Gordon M Hills
Listing: grade 2*
St Mary's church dates from the thirteenth century but was restored and extended by Gordon M Hills in 1880.
A set of drawings by Haswell from 1825 show a large timber belfry at the west end (similar to the one at Burstow) and in the interior view box pews, a pulpit and no arch to the chancel. In 1880 the west end was reconstructed and the belfry structure considerably reduced in size, and a north aisle, organ chamber, vestry and chancel arch were added to the original nave and chancel. The south porch was moved westwards and a fifteenth century window was re-fixed in the new north aisle.
The roofs are tiled, the spire shingled and the walls constructed of a mixture of Reigate (or Merstham) stone, Wealden sandstone and Bath stone.