Dormansland: St John
Details of all Sunday and weekday services and activities may be obtained from the parish contacts
Patron: Bishop of Southwark
Population (2001 census): 2,772
Urban Priority Area: No
Episcopal Area: Croydon
Diocesan Record Office: Surrey History Centre
Architect: Arthur Blomfield
Listing: not listed
The church is sited at the junction of the High Street and The Platt near the south end of the village of Dormansland. It was built in 1882 as a chapel of ease to Lingfield but became a parish in its own right very soon after.
It was designed by Arthur Blomfield, not one of his best, and originally comprised a nave, chancel, north aisle, and north and south transepts. A vestry was added at the north east corner in 1889 and the south aisle, tower (ground storey only) and a small room at the west end in 1914. This was converted for use as a chapel in 1972 and became St Andrew's Chapel; furniture designed by David Nye. At the same time an assembly room, known as the Centenary Room, was built on the north side together with a kitchen and lavatories, designed by Adrian Gale.