Our Vision

A people with hearts on fire, loving God, walking with Jesus and led by the Spirit

Hurst Green: St John the Evangelist

Godstone Deanery

Address

Church Way
Hurst Green
Surrey RH8 9EA

Location map

Parish website

External photo

Parish Contacts

The Revd Anna Eltringham
(Priest-in-Charge)

The Vicarage
14 Oast Road
Oxted
Surrey RH8 9DU

Tel: 07826 524038
E-mail:revd.anna@gmail.com

Parish website: www.stjohnshurstgreen.org.uk

Sunday Services

8.00am Eucharist (CW Order One)
10.00am Parish Eucharist
(CW Order One) (with crèche and children's groups)
Family Eucharist (1st Sunday)
Other services: Details in Church porch

Facilities: Disabled access, toilets, disabled toilet, crèche, induction loop, large print books/service sheets

Further details of all Sunday and weekday services and activities may be obtained from the parish contacts

Information

Tradition: Modern Catholic/Central
Patron: Bishop of Southwark

Population (2001 census): 6,192
Urban Priority Area: No

Deanery: Godstone

Archdeaconry: Reigate

Episcopal Area: Croydon

Diocesan Record Office: Surrey History Centre

Details of Church

Internal photoBuilt: 1913
Architect: J O Scott
Listing: not listed

The church was built in 1913 with an extension at the western end of the church comprising an additional bay to the building and the construction of the St John's room in 1962. A fire in 1987 substantially destroyed the Church and the reconstruction and the remodelling of the building was completed in 1991.

Accommodation comprises nave, with north aisle, north and south transepts, chancel and sanctuary. In addition there is a priest's vestry and choir vestry, the latter is located in the ground floor of a tower which also has meeting rooms and other accommodation located at various levels within. At the western end of the church is a narthex and the St John's Room which is divided from the north aisle of the building by a sliding/folding partition. The church is constructed in load bearing brickwork faced with flint, with stone dressings to windows and buttresses. There is also a tower at the north east corner of the building. Roofs are pitched and clad in clay tiles, with the exception of the roofs over the priest's vestry, St. John's Room and narthex which are flat.