Whyteleafe: St Luke
(within the Caterham Team Ministry)
The Revd Tim Goode (Team Vicar)
8 Whyteleafe Hill
Surrey. CR3 0AA
Tel no: 07832 730124
Details of all Sunday and weekday services and activities may be obtained from the parish contacts
Episcopal Area: Croydon
Diocesan Record Office: Surrey History Centre
Listing: not listed
The Church, built in 1864, is situated at the foot of Whyteleafe Hill and is built on an artificial mound.
The nave and chancel are the same width and the entrance is via the new porch at the west end. The choir vestry, organ chamber and the clergy vestry, sited south of the chancel appear to have been added at a later date. At the west end a small brick turret rises above the apex of the gable and houses the bell.
The walls are faced with red brickwork with stone dressings to the window openings etc., the external walls have a plinth of knapped flint except the additions added subsequently which have brick plinths. The interior is plastered.
The roofs are of timber construction, tiled. Internally, the rafters and trusses are exposed and the spaces between the rafters are plastered.
The north transept was built in 1968 in accordance with designs by Frank Senior and Partners.
The old porch was demolished in 1981 and a new porch constructed to the design of and under the direction of P G Kennedy of Macintosh Haines & Kennedy.