Caterham: St Lawrence
(in the parish of Caterham)
Parish Office Tel: 01883 348751
Details of all Sunday and weekday services and activities may be obtained from the parish contacts
Built: 12th century
Listing: grade 1
Originally a Norman church with a semi-circular apse, it was altered many times in the 12th and 13th centuries to provide a chancel, chapel and north and south aisles by the end of that period. The south aisle was later demolished. The east gable to the chancel was rebuilt at the end of the 18th century, but the building was disused after 1866 when St Mary's (opposite) was opened. More general repairs and refitting were carried out in the 1920s when the church was re-opened for occasional use.