Our Vision

A people with hearts on fire, loving God, walking with Jesus and led by the Spirit

Carshalton Beeches: The Good Shepherd

External photo

Address

Queen Mary's Avenue
Carshalton
Surrey

 

Location map

Website

Parish Contacts

The Revd Warner Pidgeon

38 Beeches Avenue
Carshalton
Surrey. SM5 3LW

Tel: 020 8647 6056
E-mail:revwmp@aol.co.uk

Parish website:
www.goodshepherdcarshalton.org

Sunday Services

Details of all Sunday and weekday services and activities may be obtained from the parish contacts

Information

Patron: Bishop of Southwark

Population (2001 census): 9,984
Urban Priority Area: No

Deanery: Sutton
Archdeaconry: Croydon
Episcopal Area: Croydon
Diocesan Record Office: Sutton Local Studies Centre

Details of Church

Internal photoBuilt: 1930
Architect: Martin Travers & T F W Grant
Listing: grade 2

The design was intended to resemble a Spanish mission chapel. The walls were originally whitewashed leaving exposed the decorative banding of dark red bricks. As the building occupies an elevated position it can be seen from quite a distance (e.g. from St. Helier Hospital) and its vivid green copper roof and simple belfry set amidst the surrounding two storey pan-tiled houses looks convincingly "continental". Sir John Betjeman, who admired the building, described it as "Essoldo-moderne in a Hispano-Italian style"!

The overall impression is one of light and space. The building is basically a rectangle 113 x 47 feet. The forty foot high, strongly moulded ceiling gives dignity and strength. The altar and rood cross are the focal point. The absence of choir stalls and screen avoids any barriers between congregation and altar. The large gallery at the west end accommodates the organ. The narthex below the gallery was enclosed 1990.