Our Vision

A people with hearts on fire, loving God, walking with Jesus and led by the Spirit

Belmont: St John the Baptist - LEP

External photo

Address

Northdown Road
Belmont
Surrey

Location map

Parish website

Parish Contacts

Rev Mark Williams (Vicar)

St John's Vicarage,
Belmont Rise,
Sutton,
Surrey SM2 6EA

Tel: 020 8642 2363
E-mail: vicar@stjohnbelmont.org.uk

Parish Office
Tel: 020-8643 4656
E-mail: office@stjohnbelmont.org.uk

Parish website:
www.stjohnbelmont.org.uk

Sunday Services

8.00am Holy Communion (BCP)
9.30am Parish Communion (Common Worship/Methodist)
(with children's and young people's activities)
5:30pm Choral Evensong
(first Sunday of the month only)

Evening Prayer
(third Sunday of the month only)

Facilities: Disabled access, toilets, crèche, induction loop, large print books/service sheets

Further details of all Sunday and weekday services and activities may be obtained from the parish contacts

Information

Tradition: Central

Patron: Rector of Cheam, St Dunstan

Local Ecumenical Partnership: Anglican/Methodist

Population (2001 census): 6,460

Urban Priority Area: No

Deanery: Sutton

Archdeaconry: Croydon

Episcopal Area: Croydon

Diocesan Record Office: Sutton Local Studies Centre

Introduction to parish

Belmont is an area of mixed housing on the southern outskirts of the London Borough of Sutton, centred on a village-like parade of shops, with a station and the church at either end. St John's began as the Church of England parish church, completed in 1966; the nearby Methodist congregation moved in in the 1980's, and the worship and administration of the church have been joint since the mid-1990's.

The church provides a wide range of social, study, and other activities, and seeks to provide a focus for the whole local community as well as for regular worshippers To this end a new community hall is being built next to the church.

Details of Church

Internal photo

Internal photo

Built: 1914/1970
Architect: Greenaway & Newberry
Not listed

The building is of two major phases of construction and dates from 1914 with a later extension constructed at the west end of the building which dates from the 1970s.

The church building comprises nave, chancel and sanctuary, north and south aisles and a suite of vestries to the north east which also includes access up to a proposed tower at the north east corner which was never constructed. At the west end of the building, accommodation has been inserted very successfully to provide a gallery with offices and meeting rooms, kitchens and toilets beyond.