Southwark: Christ Church
The Revd Jonathan Coore (Rector)
35 Oswin Street
London SE11 4TF
Tel: 07786 431451
Parish website: www.christchurchsouthwark.org.uk
Tradition: Modern Catholic
Patron: Trustees of Marshall's Charity
Christ Church is the Parish Church for the West Bankside area of North Southwark, in the centre of an area of major development and regeneration projects. The Tate Modern gallery, Millennium bridge, Southwark station, new hotels and office and residential accommodation are all part of the parish.
The congregation contribute to the life of the area by involvement in many community organisations including the Bankside Residents Forum, Blackfriars Settlement, Borough Market and various tenants associations.
Built: 1957 - 59
Architect: R Paxton-Watson & Barry Costin
Listing: not listed
The history is such that this is the third church constructed on the site. The second church was destroyed by enemy action in 1941. The redevelopment of the church took place between 1957/59, the architect's practice was Watson & Costain of Reigate. The church was consecrated on the 7th December 1959.
The structure consists of a barrel vaulted copper-clad roof supported on a concrete structure, off cavity walls, with intermediate concrete columns, off a concrete pile and raft structural foundations. The windows are single-glazed and of the metal casement variety with leaded lights. The doors, predominantly are of hardwood, and varnished. There is both stone and brick detailing around parapets, windows, the tower and brick-chamfered corbelling around the perimeter. The building was designed so that it could be a multi-purpose building with the chancel and nave backing directly onto a church hall. Between the two, sliding doors were incorporated.