Our Vision

A people with hearts on fire, loving God, walking with Jesus and led by the Spirit

Newington: St Mary

External photo

Address

Kennington Park Road
Newington
London
SE1

Location map

Parish website

Parish Contacts

The Revd Canon Giles Fraser

The Rectory
Kennington Park Road
London SE11 4JQ

Tel: 020 7735 3779
E-mail: giles.fraser@guardian.co.uk

Parish Office
Tel: 020 7735 2324

Parish website

Sunday Services

10.00am Parish Mass
(with activities for children & young people)

Further details of all Sunday and weekday services and activities may be obtained from the parish contacts

Information

Tradition: Catholic
Patron: Bishop of Southwark

Population (2001 census): 4,020
Urban Priority Area: Yes

Deanery: Southwark & Newington
Archdeaconry: Southwark
Episcopal Area: Woolwich
Diocesan Record Office: London Metropolitan Archives

Details of the Church

Internal photoBuilt: 1958
Architect: A Llewellyn-Smith
Listing: Not listed 
(tower and portal of old church are listed grade II)

Standing in the forecourt of the present church are the portico fragment of the old west front and tower by J Fowler 1876, which remain from the earlier church, destroyed in World War II.

The new church is brick built with stone columns to new porticos. The shallow pitched roof is copper covered and lower roofs are flat asphalt covered concrete. The tower and old walls are Ragstone. The building is rectangular; the main worship space is cruciform with a sanctuary, transepts and nave. The vestry, parish office, meeting room and chapel fill the four re-entrant corners. The narthex to the west and adjacent entrance lobbies are entered from porticos. The car park beyond the east end of the church also gives access to the Rectory at the south end and the Hall to the north.