Richmond: St Matthias
(within the Richmond Team Ministry)
All correspondence to
c/o 46 North Road
Surrey TW9 4HD
8.00am Holy Communion (BCP)
9.30am Sung Eucharist
(with Sunday School)
(except 1st Sunday - 10am All Age Communion)
6.30pm Evening Prayer
Facilities: Disabled access, toilets, disabled toilet, crèche, induction loop, large print books
Details of all Sunday and weekday services and activities may be obtained from the parish contacts
St Matthias is part of the Richmond Team Ministry, working with two other Anglican Churches. We are an open and welcoming community, valuing traditional but informal Anglican worship. We value a challenging and questioning approach to matters of faith and practice. We welcome the priestly ministry of women and to gay and lesbian people. Our building has been converted for weekday use as a community centre and we run a daily coffee bar as a welcoming community facility. No-one should feel they would not fit in.
Architect: Sir George Gilbert Scott
Listing: grade 2
The main part of the church was built in 1857-8 to the design of Sir George Gilbert Scott, the upper part of the tower and spire being completed in 1861-2. The choir vestry was added in 1884 (John Oldrid Scott); All Saints' Chapel in 1915 (Cecil Hare); the clergy vestry in the same year; and the mezzanine inserted, with the provision of meeting rooms, toilets, kitchen, crèche and so on, in 1975-8 (Hutchison, Locke and Monk).
Stained glass by Wailes (sanctuary c1861, and west rose 1868) and Hardman (some N and S aisle windows); screen and organ Case by Sir A Blomfield; Sanctuary fittings by Hare 1908-9, with additional panelling by Pearce in 1934; Chancel ceiling decorations pre-1909, redecorated by Campbell Smith & Co 1992.
The building volumes comprise:
Under a single double-pitched roof , the nave which is subdivisible by 3 sliding screens and west porch and entrance foyer with mezzanine gallery over.
Under a mono-pitched roof , the south aisle, and south passage, kitchen storerooms, male toilets, south porch lobby and south staircase up to the mezzanine level, with meeting room, chaplain's/wardens office, toilet.
Under a double-pitched roof, the south porch.
Under a mono-pitched roof, the north aisle, and crèche with its store and toilet, and south staircase up to the mezzanine level meeting room.
Within the tower structure: at ground floor level, storeroom, female toilets, north porch lobby; at mezzanine floor level, meeting room, lobby, store and toilet; at upper mezzanine level, a store room accessible by loft ladder; accessible by spiral staircase in succession, the ringing chamber, bell chamber and clock chamber, and finally, accessible by extension ladder, the spire itself.
Under a double-pitched roof with apsidal end, the chancel and sanctuary. Under a mono-pitch roof, with abutting lower apsidal roof, All Saints Chapel.