Kew: St Luke
(within the united benefice of Kew, St Philip & All Saints with St Luke)
11am Parish Communion
(ASB Rite A)(with crèche and Junior Church)
Facilities: Disabled access, toilets, disabled toilet, crèche, induction loop
Further details of all Sunday and weekday services and activities may be obtained from the parish contacts
Diocesan Record Office: Surrey History Centre
St Luke's in The Avenue at Kew Gardens was built in 1889. In 1989 the large Victorian building was converted as a successful dual purpose church and community centre on two floors.
The congregation which numbers 70-90 most Sundays comprises mainly professional people, young families, as well as a few older Kew people who have lived here all their lives. Many of the congregation either commute to London or travel abroad, regularly, Heathrow Airport being only 20 minutes away.
Details of the church
Built: 1889, converted in 1989
Architect: Goldie, Childe & Goldie, converted by Hutchison, Locke & Monke
Listing: not listed
The church was built in irregularly coursed sandstone with a large towerless nave and a chancel of equal height. In 1989 the nave was extended and converted for a day centre, with an inserted upper floor. The chancel now forms the worship space within the church.
A rebuilt and restored Walker pipe organ (1880) was installed in 1999.