Charlwood: St Nicholas
(part of the Upper Mole Group Ministry)
Rev William Campen (Rector)
The Rectory, Charlwood, Horley, Surrey RH6 0EE
Patron: Bishop of Southwark
Urban Priority Area: No
Built: 11th - 15th century
Listing: grade 1
The Church comprises a porch, south aisle, nave, north aisle, chancel, sanctuary, northern tower and vestry and is bounded on the south and west by open fields, to the north by residential accommodation and to the east by the edge of the village.
The north aisle and tower base are considered to be the oldest part of the church built around about the year 1080. The Norman arch of this period supports the tower and above the tower arch is a window which probably illuminated the Priest room. There is also a tiny Norman window on the north wall and a larger window to the west of the tower crossing which was added in about 1300. The west window to the north aisle dates from about 1480 and includes some glass from that period and painted figurines again from roughly that period. The east arch of the tower was probably reconstructed during the Georgian period.
The western end of the south aisle, between the door and the pulpit, was built in about 1280. Behind the pulpit is the piscina. There are a considerable number of very fine wall paintings on the south wall which believe to date from 1300 and tell the story of St Margaret and St Nicholas.
South West Porch
The door to the south porch and its iron work are believed to date from 1280. The porch itself was added in 1480.
The eastern end of the south aisle, between the present pulpit and the eastern altar, was built in 1480 and the area currently used as the chancel was a chantry chapel for Richard Saunders. The chancel screen may have originally enclosed the Saunders tomb. The reredos behind the altar was made in 1935. The Saunders family were important members of the Court of Anne of Cleves, Henry VIII, Queen Mary and Queen Elizabeth. Sir Thomas Saunders held the post of remembrance treasurer.
This part of the Church was built around 1300 and the main altar stood here from about 1300 until 1858, when it was moved by Burgess.
The roof over the South Aisle was probably constructed in about 1480 but is of similar form to that of the north aisle which is believed to be earlier.
In 1858 Burgess designed the revisions to the layout of the church. The altar was moved to its present position and the present pews installed. The stain glassed window above the altar commemorates the rector who rearranged the church and who rediscovered the wall paintings which had been white washed over at the reformation.
It is believed the tower was raised in the 1660's to take a new peel of bells.
The church is constructed of a series of materials. The walls include Wealden sandstone, ironstone, flint and limestone while the roofs include lead roofs, plain tiles and Horsham slates