Our Vision

A people with hearts on fire, loving God, walking with Jesus and led by the Spirit

Brockham Green: Christ Church

Reigate Deanery

External photo

Brockham Green
Betchworth
Surrey

Location map

Parish Contacts

Rev Jonathan Willans (Priest-in-charge)
The Vicarage, Clayhill Road, Leigh, Reigate, Surrey RH2 8PD
Tel: 01306-611224

Sunday Services

Details of all Sunday and weekday services and activities may be obtained from the parish contacts

Information

Patron: The Hon James Leslie Hamilton

Population (2001 census): 2,686
Urban Priority Area: No

Deanery: Reigate
Archdeaconry: Reigate
Episcopal Area: Croydon
Diocesan Record Office: Surrey History Centre

Built: 1846
Architect: Benjamin Ferry
Listing: grade B

Christ Church was consecrated by the Bishop of Winchester in 1847. At that time, Christ Church was a daughter church of St. Michael's, Betchworth. By 1868, the Parish had become a separate district for ecclesiastical purposes and the incumbent was, by then, a Vicar.

The site for the church was donated by Henry Hope Thomas and the Architect appointed for the design was Benjamin Ferry who was pupil of Pugin.

It is reported that during the construction of the church, there was a discussion about whether brick, flint or local stone should be the material, but an offer was made by Sir Benjamin Brody to give all the stone required to the walls and this was felt to be too generous an offer to be rejected. Every possible care was taken to select the best stone and an immense quantity of it was set aside as unfit for use. It is, perhaps, unfortunate that the offer was made since much of the problems related to the church are linked to the quality of the stone that was not rejected.

By 1883, the church needed massive restoration, particularly because of the defective condition of the exterior stone, and much of the decayed quoin stones were replaced with Bath stone at that time.

In 1931, the octave of bells was provided following the bequest by Sidney Poland and, at the same time, the lych gate was constructed to the design of Frederick Hagyard, a local architect.

The Church comprises a sanctuary and chancel with a nave to the west. To the north and south are transepts with a choir vestry leading from the south transept and priest's vestry on the north. There is a tower located between the chancel and nave.