Betchworth: St Michael
8.00 am Holy Communion (BCP) alternating between Betchworth and Buckland
11.00 am Betchworth parish communion
1st/4th/4th Common Worship order 1
2nd Choral Matins (BCP)
3rd is joint Family Service with Buckland.
All services follow Common Worship - mainly order 1 with creation of special services for different festivals.
Facilities: Disabled access, toilets, disabled toilet.
Further details of all Sunday and weekday services and activities may be obtained from the parish contacts
We are a middle of the road, broad-minded church set in the rural parish of Betchworth. Betchworth is mid way between Reigate and Dorking. Most services follow Common Worship order 1 with a parish communion which begins at 11.00 am but we join with St Mary the Virgin, Buckland every third Sunday for a Joint Family Service. We have a regular congregation of about 50 or so and have a strong choir. The church appeared in the 1995 film 'Four Weddings and a Funeral'
You are guaranteed a warm welcome... - coffee is served after each service.
Details of Church
Built: 13th century
Listing: grade 1
St. Michael's Church is situated at the southern end of the village of Betchworth and is approached from Church Street. The church is contained within a substantial churchyard, bounded by The Street to the east, Betchworth House and grounds to the south and west and residential properties to the north. The churchyard is bisected diagonally in an east/west direction by a right-of-way, which on the east side passes through an ornamental stone archway, before joining The Street opposite the Dolphin Inn. Adjacent to this gateway, Priest's Cottage and the Forge occupy land within the boundaries of the churchyard.
The church occupies the high ground within its churchyard and lateral paths from the main right-of-way, pass to the east and west ends of the church and connect at a lych-gate on the northern boundary, abutting Church Street. The orientation of the church is east-north east/west-south west.
The churchyard is now closed to burials but its numerous graves, planting and trees, its undulating site and the variety of its surroundings form an intensely picturesque setting for the church.
St. Michael is a large church, broadly dating to the mid thirteenth century but with fragments built into the church of the eleventh century. Other alterations were made in succeeding centuries, culminating in the reconstruction of the Norman crossing tower as a new tower at the east end of the south aisle in 1851. The architect was E C Hakewill. Other interesting internal features include a Romanesque tub shaped font by Eric Kennington (1951) and a polychromatic pulpit by Lush (1885). There is some stained glass.
The church is of conventional mediaeval layout with nave and aisles, crossing and chancel and two transepts. The north transept is known as the Goulburn Chapel. The chancel is extended to the south and at its east end contains a fine Bevington organ with decorated pipes. A vestry has been added in the angle of the Goulburn Chapel and the chancel and the Goulburn vault lies parallel with the chancel on the north side. There are two porches - at the west end and on the south side, the latter being the main entrance.
The structure consists of limestone rubble and ashlared quoining of Reigate stone. At a later date, some of the window surrounds were renewed in a yellow stone. In 1963, the top section of the tower was found to be unsafe and was refaced in Portland stone in a totally unsympathetic ashlared finish.
The building is notable for continuing to retain its Horsham slab roof covering. The interior of the church includes a number of interesting features and monuments. The bell tower contains eight bells which are regularly rung.