Plumstead: St Nicholas
The Revd Canon Andrew Stevens (Vicar)
St Nicholas' Vicarage
64 Purrett Road
London SE18 1JP
Tel: 020-8854 0461
Further details of all Sunday and weekday services and activities may be obtained from the parish contacts.
Patron: Vicar of St Mark, Plumstead
Urban Priority Area: No
Details of the church
Built: church foundation dates
Listing: grade 2*
The church dates from the twelve century, has a seventeenth century brick west tower, nave rebuilt in 1818, restoration of 1867-8 by C H Cooks, extensive enlargements in 1907-8 by Greenaway and Newberry; suffered severe damage in the Second World War and was repaired in 1959 by T F Ford & Partners. The building which is sited on a slope down to the Thames is on the north side of Plumstead High Street adjacent to a small open space on the south side.
Not surprisingly in view of its complex history, the church is built of a variety of material including seventeenth century red bricks, Pluckley type stock facing bricks, Bath stone, Kentish ragstone, Portland stone and is roofed with clay tiles, lead and copper sheets.
The mediaeval nave has now become the south aisle with the adjacent south transept much reduced in size. The fifteenth century north aisle is now the nave while the present north aisle, chancel, north east chapel, organ chamber and vestries were added in 1907-8 by Greenaway & Newberry.