Our Vision

A people with hearts on fire, loving God, walking with Jesus and led by the Spirit

Abbey Wood: St Michael & All Angels

Plumstead Deanery

External photo

Abbey Wood Road
London SE2

Location map

Sunday Services

10.00 am Parish Mass (with Sunday School)
6.30 pm Evensong

Information

Tradition: Modern Catholic

Patron: Bishop of Southwark

Population (2001 census): 7,229

Urban Priority Area: Yes

Deanery: Plumstead

Archdeaconry: Lewisham

Episcopal Area: Woolwich

Introduction to parish

St. Michael's is a moderate Anglo-Catholic parish with a strong tradition, which manages also to embrace members of the congregation who are inclined towards an Evangelical style of worship. It has a congregation which has seen the emergence of vocations to the priesthood over the past few years. The PCC passed resolutions A and B under the Priests (Ordination of Women) Measure 1994,and also the further resolution ('C') which puts the parish under the episcopal care of the Bishop of Fulham. There are several members who are keen supporters of Forward in Faith.

Built: 1907
Architect: Blomfield & Son
Listing: not listed.

The need for St. Michael's arose when the Royal Arsenal Co-operative society began its building of the Bostall Estate, east of Plumstead, from about 1900. St. Nicholas Church, Plumstead was almost in ruins and with 18,000 parishioners of its own, could offer no help. Early in 1904 the present site for a church and hall was purchased for £1000 and by September the hall had been completed. The church, built at a cost (including furnishings) of £8026.9s.8d, opened for worship on 11th April 1908. It now serves a parish of some 6,000 souls.

From the outside St. Michael's gives the impression of a practical, though undistinguished, red brick building. With neither tower nor spire it sits quietly on Abbey Wood Road amidst the homes of its parish. Inside though it is a different story.

The wooden roof is a fine example of its kind - high and gracious - it faithfully represents an upturned boat over the nave. The oak rood-screen shows Jesus on the Cross, with Mary and St. John kneeling in prayer beside. There are a number of examples of stained glass, the east windows in the sanctuary and Lady Chapel are by Kempe renowned in his time as an artist in glass and there is also a lovely depiction of the Annunciation by Arthur Moore who died in 1939.