Our Vision

A people with hearts on fire, loving God, walking with Jesus and led by the Spirit

Forest Hill: St Augustine

West Lewisham Deanery

Address

Honor Oak Park
London
SE23 3LE

Location map

Parish website

External photo

Sunday Services

10:30 am Holy Eucharist

Details of all Sunday and weekday services and activities may be obtained from the parish contacts

Information

Tradition: Central
Patron: Bishop of Southwark

Population (2001 census): 6,921

Introduction to parish

Saint Augustine's Church exists to worship God and build the Kingdom in our part of God's world by proclaiming the love of God in word and action.

Organisational Philosophy

We believe that every member of the Church has some part to play in carrying out this aim, by the offering of their time, talents and money; and each should play a part in the democratic decision-making with the leadership of the ordained clergy.

Organisational Goals

  • To increase the number and regularity of Sunday worshippers and the inspiration they receive.

  • To work in close cooperation with all other agencies involved in caring for people in this area.

  • To deepen every member's prayer-life and understanding of the Bible.

  • To grow together in mutual love and fellowship.

  • To serve the community around us without prejudice or discrimination, by enhancing our neighbours' quality of life.

Details of the Church

Internal photoBuilt: 1872 - 73
Architect: William Oakley
Listing: grade 2

The growth of new houses in the Honor Oak area led to a demand for a church, and St. Augustine's parish was formed. The architect appointed was William Oakley, a member of the Royal Institute of British Architects, who was to design, "a building which on account of the site and status of the neighbourhood, must of necessity possess some architectural pretensions".

The foundation stone was laid by Mr J G Talbot MP on the 3rd October, 1872, and it was intended to consecrate the building on St. Augustine's Day, 26th May, in the next year, but this was not to be; for although the building was finished in time, about £3000 of the total cost of £5000 was still owing, and the consecration was deferred until the church was out of debt, on 2nd December 1874. The church was in use for public worship, however, from 4th June 1873 onwards.

For full details, visit the Parish website