Lewisham: St Swithun
East Lewisham Deanery
Rev Juliet Donnelly
St Swithuns Vicarage
191 Hither Green Lane
London SE13 6QE
Tel: 07734 113741
Details of all Sunday and weekday services and activities may be obtained by clicking here
Patron: Vicar of Lewisham
Population (2001 census): 7,898
Urban Priority Area: Yes
Deanery: East Lewisham
Archdeaconry: Lewisham & Greenwich
Episcopal Area: Woolwich
Diocesan Record Office: Lewisham Archives Centre
Architect: Ernest Newton
Listing: grade C
The church was built in 1892 to the designs of the architect Ernest Newton. The tapering chancel and Lady Chapel with vestries under were added in 1904. The original mission church abuts the building to the east and is now used as a parish hall.
The accommodation comprises nave, north and south aisles, chancel, sanctuary, south east chapel, narthex and gallery over. Beneath the sanctuary and the south east chapel are situated the upper vestry, lower vestry, and priest's vestry.
The church is constructed in buttressed load bearing brickwork faced with red Wrotham bricks with a slate damp proof course. The window and door dressings and window tracery are in Bath stone and the copings to the gables and buttress tablings are in Portland stone. Roofs are spanned with timber trusses and are finished in slate.