Lee: St Peter
East Lewisham Deanery
(within the parish of Lee, The Good Shepherd with St Peter)
The Revd Bridget Shepherd (Vicar)
47 Handen Road
Tel: 020 8318 2363
Lee, The Good Shepherd with St Peter
9.00am Holy Communion
(ASB Rite A - with talk and activities for children)
All Age Worship on 3rd Sunday
Facilities: Disabled access, toilets, disabled toilet, large print books
Further details of all Sunday and weekday services and activities may be obtained from the parish website or contacts
'A friendly church with a local feel' was how one visitor to St Peter's described it recently. Rebuilt in 1983 our dual purpose premises host a range of community activities during the Week. Brownies, Beavers and Guides are well established and run by church members. Our building and our worship are child-friendly.
As a body of believers we seek to live out our faith in Jesus Christ as Saviour and Lord and express in practical ways the good news of God's love for our neighbourhood.
We are actively involved in Churches Together in Lee, including Oasis, a project offering help to asylum seekers and people who are homeless.
Listing: not listed
The church building has had a literally up and down history! The first St Peter's church was built in 1871 and stood at the junction of Lyme Farm Road and Courtlands Avenue where a cross now marks the site. In 1937 the church was closed or lack of members. After the war the situation changed and demand for a church grew. The old church had suffered bomb damage so it was decided to move to the church hall on the corner of Weigall Road. It was here that a new church was dedicated in 1960. When this developed structural problems it was replaced in 1983 by the present smaller, dual purpose building. At the same time Raglan Court, a block of retirement flats, was built on the site.