Clapham: Holy Trinity
Lambeth North Deanery
(a parish within the benefice of Clapham, Holy Trinity and St Peter)
Details of all Sunday and weekday services and activities may be obtained from the parish contacts
Details of church
Built: 1774 - 79
Architect: Kenton Couse
Listing: grade 2*
The original mediaeval parish church, on the site of St Paul's, was replaced when Holy Trinity was built at the north east corner of Clapham Common in 1774-6 by Kenton Couse. The building was a simple brick rectangle with a west turret and the west portico was enlarged by F Hurblatt in. More substantial alterations were made in 1903 when Beresford Pite added the chancel, south east chapel, north east vestries on two floors, north east and north west porches. Two WCs and a small kitchen have been incorporated.
The Lady Chapel has been altered and fitted out to a design by Purcell Miller Tritton and Partners to create the William Wilberforce Community Centre and comprises a large meeting room at first floor level, a small meeting room at ground floor level, a kitchen, entrance hall, lavatories and shower room. The west end of the church has been altered to provide a small chapel and coffee bar.