Peckham: St Saviour (Copleston Centre) - LEP
Revd Edward Collier
Copleston Centre Church
Tel: 020 7732 3435
Tel: 020 7732 3435
Sunday Services10.00am Holy Communion
(ASB Rite A)(with children's groups)
or Family Service (1st Sunday of month)
Facilities: Disabled access, toilets, disabled toilet, crèche, induction loop
Further details of all Sunday and weekday services and activities may be obtained from the parish contacts
Patron: Bishop of Southwark
Local Ecumenical Partnership with Hanover URC
Episcopal Area: Woolwich
Diocesan Record Office: London Metropolitan Archives
The Copleston Centre Church is a Local Ecumenical Partnership created in 1981 when St Saviour's, Peckham joined with Hanover URC in the Parish Church, redeveloped as a community centre. The congregation is multi-cultural and children are especially welcome. The constitution is a mixture of Anglican and URC structures and our worship reflects this.
The day to day running of the Centre comes under the management committee which is a partnership of church members and community representatives.
In both worship and service we seek to make manifest the unconditional love of God in welcome, serious attention and unpossessive togetherness.
Built: 1880 - 81 / remodelled in 1978 - 79
Architect: Weeks & Hughes / remodelled by Thomas Ford & Partners
Listing: not listed
The church was originally constructed with a nave and two aisles fully fitted with pews giving seating for about 650 people. It had a chancel with choir and sanctuary, a north transept containing the organ and a south transept forming a chapel. There is no tower, but at the west end are two bell turrets. There is a small projecting west porch.
In 1978 - 79 the building was extensively remodelled and converted into a community centre with a central worship area shared by the Anglicans and the United Reformed Church. A children's day centre, activity hall with toilets off and dining arrangements were incorporated into the remodelled building.