Norbury: St Philip
Croydon North Deanery
The Revd Canon Younis Francis (Vicar)
St Philip's Vicarage
66 Pollards Hill North
London SW16 4NY
Tel: 020 3532 8674
Details of all Sunday and weekday services and activities may be obtained from the parish contacts
Patron: Bishop of Southwark
Urban Priority Area: No
Deanery: Croydon North
Episcopal Area: Croydon
Diocesan Record Office: Surrey History Centre
Built: 1900 - 35
Listing: not listed
Church building was started in 1900 (architect unknown). The first stage comprised the three eastern bays of the nave and aisles with chancel and sanctuary. In 1929 the two plus part only west bays, front vestries and narthex of the church were designed by the architects Caroe and Passmore. Construction was completed in 1935.
Successive re-ordering works were carried out under the direction of Robin Redsull, architect, and completed in November 1995.
The church comprises a traditional nave with south and north side aisles, chancel and sanctuary, short north transept with organ chamber below, vicar and choir vestries to the south of the chancel. Pitched clay tiled roofs are carried on boarded construction supported through rafters on king post trusses, with purlins on corbel supports to side aisles. Walls comprise various thickness solid facing brickwork, internally smooth rendered, with moulded brick archings separating the main aisle from the side aisles, carried on stone pillars. External and internal elevations comprise a variety of stone mouldings to arches and window heads.