Croydon: St Peter
Croydon Central Deanery
(within the benefice of South Croydon, St Peter & St Augustine)
Details of all Sunday and weekday services and activities may be obtained from the parish contacts
Facilities: Toilets, induction loop, large print books
Built: 1849 - 51
Architect: Sir George Gilbert Scott
Listing: grade 2
St Peter's Church is a landmark building sited approximately one mile south of Croydon town centre. It was designed by Sir George Gilbert Scott. The soaring tower and spire provides a foretaste of the High Victorian style which was to follow in succeeding decades.
It comprises a nave, chancel, north and south aisles, each with large porches. The tower is sited on the centre line of the nave at the west end. There is a Lady Chapel adjacent to the south side of the chancel which is balanced by the organ chamber on the north side. The latter is extended to accommodate the choir and clergy vestries; these in turn were extended in 1932 to create a sacristy, lavatory and entrance lobby.