Addiscombe: St Mary Magdalene with St Martin
Croydon Central Deanery
Revd Amanda Johnson (Vicar)
The Vicarage, Canning Road, Addiscombe, Surrey CR0 6QD
Tel: 020 8656 3457
Parish website: www.stmmm.org.uk
Patron: Lay patrons
Urban Priority Area: No
Deanery: Croydon Central
Episcopal Area: Croydon
Diocesan Record Office: Surrey History Centre
Details of the church
Architect: E Buckton Lamb
Listing: grade 2*
The church was built in 1869 for a seceder from the Church of England, but brought into the Anglican fold in 1878. The east and west ends were completed in 1906 and the south-east tower not until 1928-30. Of Lamb's favourite Kentish ragstone and Bath stone, with his usual centralised plan and dominating low-sweeping intricate roof structure. A black and white marble floor was laid in 1936 and there is a marble and mosaic reredos. A modern hall stands at the west end.
The church of Croydon, St Martin was made redundant and demolished in 1994. The site was sold for a housing association development.