Our Vision

A people with hearts on fire, loving God, walking with Jesus and led by the Spirit

Shirley: St George the Martyr

Croydon Addington Deanery

Address

The Glade
Shirley
Croydon
Surrey

Location map

Parish website

External photo

Parish Contacts

The Revd Barry Hengist
(Priest-in-Charge)

St George's Vicarage
The Glade
Shirley CR0 7PR.

Tel: 020 8654 8747
E-mail: barryhengist@gmail.com

Parish website: www.stgeorgeschurch.co.uk

Sunday Services

Details of all Sunday and weekday services and activities may be obtained from the parish contact.

Information

Patron: Bishop of Southwark

Population (2001 census): 8,203
Urban Priority Area: No

Deanery: Croydon Addington

Archdeaconry: Croydon

Episcopal Area: Croydon

Diocesan Record Office: Surrey History Centre

 

Details of the Church

Internal photo

Built: 1952
Architect: John L Denman
Listing: not listed

 

 

The church was built in 1952 to the design of John L Denman. The vestries, lavatories, kitchen and Lady Chapel were added in the 1960's.

The church consists of a nave, south aisle, sanctuary in continuation of the nave, Lady Chapel attached to the sanctuary on the north side and a series of ancillary rooms (lavatories, vestries, etc) surrounding the sanctuary all under asphalt flat roofs. Main walls are load-bearing brickwork supporting a pitched roof covered in clay pantiles carried on 4 steel trusses which support timber purlins and rafters. The ceilings of the nave, sanctuary aisle and dwarf transepts are false vaulted by suspended ceilings of plaster on hessian stretched over a light wood frame which is an unusual feature.