Our Vision

A people with hearts on fire, loving God, walking with Jesus and led by the Spirit

Kidbrooke, St James

Charlton Deanery

External photo

Address

Kidbrooke Park Road
Kidbrooke
London
SE3

Parish website

Parish Contacts

Rev Kim Hitch (Rector)

St James Rectory
62 Kidbrooke Park Road
London SE3 0DU

Tel: 020-8856 3438
E-mail: rector@stjames-se3.org.uk

Church Office
Tel: 020-8856 4020

Parish website: www.stjames-se3.org.uk

Sunday Services

9.30 am
'Rise & Shine' - a 45 minute service with families in mind 

10.30 am
Parish Communion 

Facilities: Disabled access, toilets, crèche, induction loop

Further details of all Sunday and weekday services and activities may be obtained from the parish contacts

Information

Patron: Special Board of Patronage

Tradition: Central

Population (2001 census): 7,330
Urban Priority Area: Yes

Deanery: Charlton
Archdeaconry: Lewisham & Greenwich
Episcopal Area: Woolwich
Diocesan Record Office: Greenwich Local History Library

Introduction to parish

St. James' Church family seeks to welcome and serve all people in the fellowship of Christ, whatever their circumstances. Set in a dormitory area we try to meet together, while welcoming all, in a variety of ways: homegroups, lunch clubs, coffee mornings, open days. The twin-focus of our life is worship and mission, set in a context of prayer.

Details of Church

Built: 1866 - 67
Architect: Newman & Billing
Listing: grade C

The church was designed in the ‘thirteenth century’ Gothic style, to seat a congregation of 1,000 people.

It consists of a six bay nave flanked by aisles to the north and south with a chapel to the east. The main entrance porch is on the north side together with an unfinished staircase addition and also a tower containing the choir vestry, organ loft and bell chamber. The tower is topped by a short spire. The priest's vestry is in an octagonal addition on the south side of the chancel together with WC and utility room.

Shortly after the church was completed in 1881 serious subsidence occurred in the chancel and the east wall and parts of the north and south walls had to be demolished and rebuilt. Further and more serious damage occurred in the second world war when first a land mine and later a V2 rocket destroyed the octagonal stone spire, the nave roof, windows and much of the interior. The church was rebuilt and refurbished in 1951.

The walls are constructed of brick faced with coursed Kentish ragstone and Bath stone dressings. Windows are in the Gothic style with geometric tracery, stone hoods and carved bosses. Glazing is direct to stone.