Old Charlton: St Thomas
within the united benefice of Charlton
with Sunday School
Facilities: Disabled access, toilets
Further details of all Sunday and weekday services and activities may be obtained from the Parish contacts
Urban Priority Area: Yes
Archdeaconry: Lewisham & Greenwich
Episcopal Area: Woolwich
Diocesan Record Office: London Metropolitan Archives
The parish of St Thomas runs from the Thames barrier to a little short of the Woolwich ferry crossing at its northern most point and south towards the Woolwich Common. The parish has seen changes with some new housing along the Thames walk and the revival of some light industry nearby. Much of the rest of the parish remains under resourced and run down. The church community is a fair ethnic and social reflection of the wider parish community. The congregation are committed to social action within the parish community and look for practical ways of sharing their Christian faith.
Details of the Church
Built: 1849 - 50
Architect: Joseph Gwilt
Listing: grade C
The foundation store was laid on the 4th October 1849 and consecration took place on 31st July 1850. The cost of the church is recorded as £3,169. The church is designed in the Romanesque style of red and white bricks with pilaster buttresses. As originally constructed, the church was rather tall and narrow with north and south galleries supported on arcades consisting of quatrefoil columns supporting brick arches. There is an apsidal east end with four small circular windows depicting Christ and the Apostles. There was a renovation by Ewan Christian in 1892-93 which included alterations to the chancel and installation of new choir stalls. In 1982 the church was remodelled by Thomas Ford & Partners, introducing a shortened worship area at the east end, with new barrel vaulted ceiling, and a hall at the west end with a youth club on a new mezzanine floor above.