Charlton: St Luke with Holy Trinity
Within the united benefice of Charlton
with Sunday School and Tower Club
Facilities: Disabled access, toilets, crèche, induction loop, large print books/service sheets
Further details of all Sunday and weekday services and activities may be obtained from the Parish contacts
Tradition: Modern Catholic
Urban Priority Area: Yes
Archdeaconry: Lewisham & Greenwich
Episcopal Area: Woolwich
Diocesan Record Office: Greenwich Local History Library
Situated on the river between historic Greenwich and industrial Woolwich, Charlton has suffered a post industrial decline and is only just revealing signs of regeneration. The Millennium Dome and peninsular development have provided some social and economic renewal. Demographically the 16,000 residents might be described as predominantly white, blue collar workers with some professionals and perhaps a 25% ethnic minority of which the majority would be African/Caribbean.
Parish Mission Statement
St Luke's is a Christian community, part of the Church of England, nurturing and supporting its members in exploring their faith. It seeks to live as an inclusive community recognising and valuing difference and praying for the reconciliation of divisions. It exists to serve Christians and the wider community by living out Christ's message, offering:
Hospitality to the stranger.
Sanctuary for the vulnerable.
Empowerment for all people.
then, as often as we have the chance we should do good to everyone
and especially to those who belong to the household of faith.'
Details of Church
Listing: grade 2*
There has been a church on this site since the 11th century said to have originally been built of chalk and flint. This was largely demolished in the 17th century when the present nave, the old chancel and what is now the Lady Chapel were constructed using Kentish red bricks probably made locally. The tower and north aisle were added later in the 17th century. The organ chamber, new chancel and old vestry followed circa 1840. The new vestries completed the present complex in 1956.
According, to local historians remains of the flint and chalk walls were found between brick facings in the South walls which are some 750mm thick. These materials may well also be hidden behind the rendered surface of part of the north wall between the two buttresses which have no apparent function and might therefore also be remnants of the earlier building,.
The predominant style of the architecture of the church is the vernacular pre Indigo Jones Renaissance style.