Peckham: St Mary Magdalene
Revd Dr Olu Adams (Vicar)
22 St Mary's Road
London SE15 2DW
Tel: 020 7639 4596
Parish website: www.stmaryspeckham.co.uk
All Age Worship - 1st Sunday
Holy Communion - 2nd Sunday
Morning Worship - 3rd Sunday
Holy Communion - 4th Sunday
(with children's and young people's activities for all ages)
Prayer & Praise alternating with Holy Communion
Facilities: Toilets, crèche, induction loop
Details of all Sunday and weekday services and activities may be obtained from the parish contacts
Tradition: Open Evangelical
Patron: Church Patronage Society
Population (2001 census): 5,905
Urban Priority Area: Yes
Episcopal Area: Woolwich
Diocesan Record Office: London Metropolitan Archives
St Mary Magdalene is a multiracial, multicultural church reflecting the local community. There is a church Primary School in the parish, and a Playgroup which meets in the Church Hall on weekday mornings. There are groups for young people age 3-1 8 years on Sunday mornings, and a crèche is available for the under 3s. Six homegroups meet weekly for Bible study, prayer and fellowship, and at regular intervals there are courses for those interested in finding out more about the Christian faith. There are both worship and drama groups
The Church's mission statement is: "To know Christ and to make Him known."
Built: 1961 - 62
Architect: Robert Potter
Listing: not listed
The church is on a small island site with frontage to St Mary's Road. The church is cruciform in plan with a communion table in the centre. The organ, choir and clergy stalls are in the eastern arm of the cross and the congregational seating is arranged in the three arms with the main door on the west. The superstructure consists of four reinforced concrete ribs supporting a four gabled roof, steeply pitched and covered with copper except the four ridges which are glazed.
Above the roof there is a small louvered loud speaker chamber surmounted by a tall cross. Below the main floor is a meeting room, kitchen, vestry, toilet, store rooms and three flights of stairs leading to the exterior.
The church was consecrated on 3 November 1962.
The original church of St Mary Magdalene was built in 1841 and destroyed by a land-mine on 21 September 1940.