Bermondsey: St James with Christ Church & St Crispin
(held in plurality with Bermondsey, St Anne & St Augustine)
Revd Canon Gary Jenkins (Vicar)
4 Thurland Road
London SE16 4AA
Parish website: www.godlovesbermondsey.org.uk
10.30 am Family Service
Holy Communion every other week
(with Sunday School)
6.30 pm Evensong
Facilities: toilets, crèche, induction loop
Further details of all Sunday and weekday services and activities may be obtained from the parish contacts
Patron: The Crown, Bishop of Southwark & Rector of Bermondsey, St Mary Magdalen (in turns)
Population (2001 census): 9,130
Urban Priority Area: Yes
Episcopal Area: Woolwich
Diocesan Record Office: London Metropolitan Archives
At St James our vision is to be at the centre of the community. We are assisted in this by our building, which is probably the finest of the Waterloo churches. It is certainly one of the finest buildings in Bermondsey and is visible from the railway and the river. It contains a fine set of bells and a unique J C Bishop organ.
We enjoy close links with our primary school, the Salmon Youth Centre (formerly Cambridge University Mission) and the two other parishes in our Group Ministry, St Anne's and St Mary's . We are committed to developing lay leadership and have 2 Ordained Local Ministers. We would love to do more outreach work, particularly with young families and young people.
Details of Church
Architect: James Savage
Listing: grade 2*
The church was designed by James Savage, and consecrated on 7th May 1829. It is built of Gault bricks with Bath stone dressings and spire. The interior has a gallery on three sides which is supported on square piers with Ionic columns above. There is a clerestory and a coffered ceiling. The sanctuary has an arched ceiling with a large painting of the Ascension by John Wood (1844) as an altar piece. The ground floor pews date from 1901. The present interior dates from 1965 when the aisles were blocked off. The north aisle is used as a Doctor's surgery. The building has undergone extensive external repair since 1988 and is currently undergoing internal restoration.
The church of Bermondsey, St Crispin was made redundant in 1999.