Bermondsey: St Anne & St Augustine
(held in plurality with Bermondsey, St James with Christ Church & St Crispin)
The Revd Canon Gary Jenkins
(Priest in Charge)
4 Thurland Road
London SE16 4AA
Parish website: www.stannesbermondsey.org.uk
All our Sunday services start at 10am, we usually follow a
monthly pattern, with some variations for
holidays and special services.
1st Sunday of month - Family Service
2nd Sunday of month - Holy Communion
3rd Sunday of month - Morning Service
4th Sunday of month - Holy Communion
On months where there are 5 Sundays in the a month we have an earlier special service at 9am '1662 Book of Common Prayer', followed by a Family Service at 10am.
Facilities: toilets, children's room, Sunday school
Further details of all Sunday and weekday services and activities may be obtained from the vicar or our parish website.
St. Anne's Bermondsey, a beating heart for Bermondsey.
St. Anne's is a bible-based church with our local community at heart. The parish of St. Anne's & St. Augustine's is situated in the middle of Thorburn Square, a few minutes walk from "The Blue Market". We offer a warm welcome to newcomers and visitors a like, and aim to encourage the ministry of all our members. We share our vicar with our sister church, St. James's in Thurland and we enjoy our Group Ministry with both St. James's and St. Mary's Bermondsey. We value our close links with the other churches in the parish and the local community.
Patron: Bishop of Southwark
Population (2001 census): 6,269
Urban Priority Area: Yes
Deanery: Bermondsey Deanery
Episcopal Area: Woolwich
Diocesan Record Office: London Metropolitan Archives
Details of Church
Architect: J Porter
Listing: not listed
The church of St Anne was built in 1869-72 and the hall accommodation was provided in 1894. The buildings lie in the middle of Thorburn Square which is pedestrian precinct surrounded by post-war council housing. There are garden areas to the north and south of the church. The church was built in stock brickwork with stone dressings to piers and buttresses. There is a stone faced bell tower in the south west corner which contains one bell. The roof coverings are natural slate. The hall has separate entrances on the south and east elevations. Part of the hall is used as office accommodation.
The church of South Bermondsey, St Augustine was declared redundant in 1995 and leased to the ABMT Christian Fellowship.