Battersea: St Luke
Revd Lorenzo Fernandez-Vicente (Vicar)
52 Thurleigh Road
Tel: 020 8673 6506
Parish Office: firstname.lastname@example.org
Parish website: www.stlukeschurch.org.uk
Sunday ServicesDetails of all Sunday and weekday services and activities may be obtained from the parish contacts.
Patron: Bishop of Southwark
Episcopal Area: Kingston
Diocesan Record Office: London Metropolitan Archives
Details of the church
Built: 1883 - 92
Architect: F W Hunt
Listing: grade 2*
St Luke's Church was built in the manner of the Italian Romanesque basilica. The east wall is partly filled by the apse of the chancel and the west end similarly by the baptistry apse. The tower, which dates from 1892, rises over the entrance in the north west corner to a height of 28m and has a copper clad roof. Other roofs are tiled with a patent double roman tile. Walls inside and out are of red brick with decoration by moulded and shaped brick string courses, pointed arch windows, corbelled arch gables, etc.. Lancet windows, singly and in groups of three are set in stone dressings.
The vestry rooms, occupying a site to the north of the chancel and the Lady Chapel to the south, continue the general architectural style.
Inside, the alabaster and marble pulpit, the chancel wall, and lantern are by William White; the choir stalls, bishop's throne and other special joinery is by Harry Hems; the apse mosaic and glass is by Powell; all dating from the turn of the century. The electric lighting was installed in 1903 and the original metal electroliers remain in use.