Lay Leadership Development Adviser, Diocese of Southwark
“Christ Centred, Outward Focused”
We are looking for an energetic, committed disciple with excellent interpersonal skills, to play a key role implementing and embedding the recent diocesan report on Lay leadership and Lay Ministry that complements national initiatives, particularly Setting God’s People Free.
This will include working with both clergy and laity as part of achieving Southwark Vision 2017-2025, which is communicated as ‘Walking, Welcoming, Growing’, and in which lay leadership plays a vital role. The successful candidate will have an opportunity to make a real difference to the development of mission and ministry across a vibrant, large and diverse Diocese.
The role will involve:
- Identifying, disseminating and embedding good practice across the Diocese.
- Supporting the development of new ways of enabling and equipping lay volunteers in the Diocese to undertake leadership roles.
- Supporting the development of paid lay ministry, including lay pioneer ministry.
- Developing partnerships with other organisations to affirm lay roles in the ‘sent church’.
- Developing and connecting with appropriate regional and national networks.
It will require a passion for developing lay leadership in the life of the Church, great communication and influencing skills, collaborative team working and a project management approach to your work. Experience of parish life and of working with volunteers will be required as you work through the opportunities that lie ahead.
This is initially a three year fixed term position, open to all, lay or ordained.
The Ideal Candidate
- A passion for the empowering of laity in the life of the Church
- Ability to articulate lay leadership clearly and in a way which is complementary with clergy leadership
- Evidence of collaborative team working and good networking skills
- Experience of working with or managing volunteers
- Excellent presentation skills including written and oral skills
- Project management skills
- Ability to manage own work and time, prioritising where necessary
- Able to be flexible in working hours, for weekend and evening work when required.
- A committed, practicing Christian with experience of parish life.
- Knowledge of different models of lay leadership and lay ministry
- A good knowledge of the structure and different traditions within the Church of England.
This vacancy closes on Sunday, 27th January.
Interviews for successful candidates will take place on Thursday, 14th February.
For an informal discussion, please contact Jackie Pontin, Director of Strategic and Operational Projects, on 020 7939 9461.
Founded in 1905, the Diocese of Southwark forms part of the Province of Canterbury in England and is part of the wider Church of England, in turn part of the worldwide Anglican Communion. the Diocese covers primarily the area of Greater London which is South of the Thames, together with the eastern part of the country of Surrey. It is one of the largest dioceses in terms of population and parishes and well as one of the most diverse.
The Diocese of Southwark provides a generous annual leave entitlement, inclusion in a non-contributory pension scheme, employee well-being benefits and season ticket loans (see outline terms and conditions).