£10.20 per hour
The Cathedral is looking to recruit a team of Choir Chaperones to support the music department staff in their work with the choirs and to provide supervision of choristers before, during and after rehearsals and services.
Choir chaperones will be the chief point of contact for choir parents and will take charge of the children in breaks between rehearsals and services especially on Sundays when there is lunch for the choirs and a period of recreation before the rehearsal for Choral Evensong. The Choir Chaperones will remain on site until the last chorister has left the site after each service or rehearsal.
You should have experience of working with groups of young people, be friendly and approachable, with a good sense of humour, able to relate well to young people between the ages of 7 and 17 and deal with unexpected situations calmly. A genuine interest in the Cathedral’s Choirs and their work will be essential.
This post will be subject to an enhanced Disclosure and Barring Check and those appointed will be required to undertake safeguarding training prior to commencing work.
- Be the first point of contact for choir parents while on duty, including contacting parents of choristers who have not turned up when expected, and liaising with parents where necessary when arrangements for collecting choristers from the Cathedral change.
- Be on hand to support choristers in the event of any unforeseen circumstance, contacting parents or guardians as appropriate.
- Supervise the choristers before and after rehearsals and services and ensure that they are ready to rehearse and are robed and in place at the appropriate time before each service.
- Escort choristers to the lavatory as and when needed – this may be during rehearsals or services.
- On Sundays, help supervise the choristers during the choir lunch and the boys’ football activity as well as supervising any other choir activities prior to rehearsal.
- Accompany and supervise choristers when they are singing off-site at other venues.
Please include the shifts that you are able to commit to within your supporting statement.
The closing date is Sunday, 18th February 2018.
Interviews for successful candidates will take place on Thursday, 8th March 2018.
Please apply via the Church of England Pathways site where you will also find a full job information pack avilable to download - http://pathways.churchofengland.org/jobs/job/Choir-Chaperones/353
About Southwark Cathedral
The Cathedral is situated on the south bank of the Thames adjacent to London Bridge in a largely business area. It is also a Parish Church. Only a small number of people are actually resident in the parish which comprises large commercial offices, two hospitals, the Cathedral Primary School and the Borough Market. The local area has undergone tremendous change with the opening of the Globe Theatre, the Tate Modern, the Millennium Footbridge and the Jubilee Line extension station at London Bridge as well as numerous other redevelopments including The Shard and re-developed London Bridge station. The normal Sunday morning congregation is eclectic with the many visitors from all over the world. Sunday Evensong is Choral in the Anglican Tradition.